If you are not planning to use the real time ship options from UPS, FedEx, or USPS, the "Custom - By Weight" option is the most popular shipping method. It will allow you to setup custom ship tables based upon the weight of the shipment. Below you will find the only prerequisite for it to work, along with instructions to create this shipping method.
Requirement for "Custom - By Weight"
In order for the "Custom - By Weight" shipping method to work, you will need to add box dimensions and weight for your products, as shown below:
Note: Weight is in pounds or kilos, dimensions are inches or centimeters depending on the country that was specified in Shipping Origin.
For instructions on how to add box dimensions and weights, please click on the link below:
Creating the Shipping Table
1. Log into your e-Store Control Panel
2. Select the Settings tab
3. Select Shipping Methods from the category bar to the left
4. Press the New button
5. Under Name, Enter a display name that your customers will see. For example, you may want to enter "Standard Shipping"
Note: If you do not change the name, you customers will see "New Ship Method" in the checkout window, and they will be unsure what this means.
6. In the Type drop-down menu, select "Custom - By Weight"
7. Press the Edit button on the first line, as shown below:
8. Enter the amount you want to charge for shipping
Note: By default, you should leave the initial value for "When weight is greater than" to 0.
9. Press Update
10. Press the New Level button to add a new level
11. Press Edit next to the new level
12. Enter your new values, then press Update
13. Continue to add new levels until you have setup your shipping tables
Below is an explanation of the shipping tables in the above example.
Customer's shipment weighs 0.1 lbs - 1 lbs = Shipping charges of $1.50
Customer's shipment weighs 1.1 lbs - 3 lbs = Shipping charges of $3.00
Customer's shipment weighs 3.1 lbs - 7 lbs = Shipping charges of $5.00
Customer's shipment weighs 7.1 lbs - 10 lbs = Shipping charges of $8.00
Customer's shipment weighs 10.1 lbs - 15 lbs = Shipping charges of $12.00
Customer's shipment weighs 15.1 lbs or more = Shipping charges of $25.00
Note: The above example is not based on any current shipping prices. It is only an example.
14. When you are done, press the Save Changes button
Adjust Price By
With "Adjust Price By", you can tack on an extra dollar amount or percentage of the shipping cost to the final shipping total. This is effectively a per order handling fee.
For example, if a customer would normally get a shipping total of $35.00, and you had adjusted the price by $10, their new shipping total would say $45.00.
Removing Unneeded Shipping Methods
If you have any extra shipping methods present under the Shipping Methods section, you will want to press the Delete button to the right of it.
If you don't remove any extra shipping methods, customers may click on the option at checkout, and perhaps get free shipping if you have not configured it.
Article ID: 86, Created On: 7/8/2008, Modified: 5/18/2012